We are very proud to announce the official beginning of the START project, which took place on June 1st, 2022, with the Kick-Off Meeting held on June 20 and 21 in LNEG (START’s coordinator) in its premises in Lisbon, Portugal.
START, which stands for "Sustainable Energy Harvesting Systems Based on Innovative Mine Waste Recycling", with the concept of transforming mining waste into materials for waste heat recovery, will create a sustainable supply chain and a corresponding business-innovation ecosystem for tellurium-free thermoelectric green energy harvesting products based on secondary raw materials responsibly sourced from within the European Union (EU).
START is an innovation action project supported by the EU and its Horizon Europe programme (HORIZON-CL4-2021-RESILIENCE-01-07).
The Consortium comprises 15 multidisciplinary institutions with large experience in international innovation projects:
- Laboratorio Nacional de Energia e Geologia I.P. (PT) - Coordinator
- 3 Drivers - Engenharia, Inovação E Ambiente Lda (PT)
- Asociacion De Servicios De Geologia Y Mineria Iberoamericanos (ES)
- Bundesanstalt Für Geowissenschaften Und Rohstoffe (DE)
- European Powder Metallurgy Association AISBL (BE)
- GeniCore Sp. Z. o.o. (PL)
- Geo Unterweissacher GmbH (AT)
- Geologische Bundesanstalt (AT)
- La Palma Research Centre SL (ES)
- MBN Nanomaterialia Spa (IT)
- RGS Development BV (NL)
- Statny Geologicky Ustav Dionyza Stura (SK)
- Sintef AS (NO)
- TEGnology ApS (DK)
- Agencia Estatal Consejo Superior De Investigaciones Cientificas (ES)
The START project has a total duration of 48 months and 9'194'441.25 € of total eligible costs.
47 delegates from all 15 consortium partners were present at the Kick-Off Meeting; during the session on Monday 20th June the EU Project Officer joined and could follow a thorough presentation about the project and its foreseen activities, results, and impact. First meetings of the General Assembly and of the Executive Committee took also place, and on 21st June a more operative meeting on the upcoming activities concluded the event. Some important decisions were taken and the activities of the first months were outlined.
The participants also enjoyed a consortium dinner on Monday night, that helped in making acquaintance with the other partners.
More details on the project approach and its endeavours will of course be published in this website soon. Go to the “Subscribe” page in this website to be in our mailing list and be kept informed about project activities and events!